What’s in a name? Changing your name by Deed Poll

There are many personal reasons why someone would decide to change their name. If you’re over 16, you can change any part of your name yourself by ‘unenrolled’ deed poll. If you want to apply for an ‘enrolled’ deed poll, which means your new name would be placed on public record, you must be 18 or over to do this yourself.

There are several restrictions when changing your name, including using numbers or symbols, using vulgar or offensive words, or making your name appear like you have a title that you do not e.g., Lord or Lady. Generally, a change of name will be accepted provided it does not seek to defraud or has some criminal benefit.

It is also possible to change the name of a child under the age of 16. However, it is required that all persons with parental responsibility consent to the change of name in respect of the child. If everyone with parental responsibility does not agree, to move forward you would need to make an application for a Specific Issue Order to obtain the court’s permission.

Our experienced team can advise and assist you in the process of changing your name. We charge a competitive rate of £180 plus VAT. This fee will cover the cost of drafting the deed, your copies of the deed, and having it witnessed.

Why choose Bromleys?

Our team of family solicitors will assess all angles of your case to determine what course of action will lead to the most positive outcome for all parties.

We can support you with a vast range of family law issues including arrangements for children, divorce and separation, domestic abuse, name changes and Social Services involvement with your family. We understanding that involving a solicitor in your personal family affairs may sometimes feel like a difficult thing to do, but our confidential, sensitive, and un-biased approach will allow you to feel fully supported, no matter your situation.

You can call us on 0161 330 6821 or make an enquiry directly with our Family and Divorce Team. Get in touch with Chiara Ozuzu on 0161 330 6821 or via email – cozuzu@bromleys.co.uk