Female Genital Mutilation Protection Orders

Are you worried that you or someone that you know is at risk of female genital mutilation (FGM)? If so, there is help available not only from the Police under criminal law, but also in the Family Court for this little-known form of domestic abuse, by way of a Female Genital Mutilation Protection Order (FGM Protection Order).

What is FGM?

Certain countries and/or cultures are known to practice FGM, which includes total or partial removal of external female genitalia. The term can also include any other procedures causing a non-medical injury to the female genital organs.

What Protection is Available?

FGM is a criminal offence for which a person can be fined, and/or imprisoned for a maximum of 14 years. It is also possible for the person who needs protection of an FGM Order (or a relevant third party or even a friend/family member with court permission), to apply for such an Order from the Family Court. In certain circumstances, such an Order may be available before the other party is made aware of the Court proceedings.

The FGM Protection Order can include provisions that include:

· If someone refuses to return your passport, they must surrender it;

· Allowing an FGM survivor to receive medical treatment;

· A named person must not harass, pester or molest the victim of domestic abuse.

Once the FGM Protection Order is made, if breached this is a criminal offence for which the person can again be imprisoned for up to 5 years. If dealt with through the Family Court as contempt of court, the person can face up to 2 years imprisonment.

Not only can we at Bromleys provide you with clear, concise legal advice relating to FGM, we can also draft the court papers, consider funding options for your case, attend hearings with you to represent you and take care of all the tasks that the court will require to be completed, such as providing a copy of the order to the perpetrator, the police and anyone else. In addition, our team of experienced family lawyers understand the emotionally draining and daunting nature of legal proceedings and will support you through this difficult time.

Why choose Bromleys?

Our team of family solicitors will assess all angles of your case , placing your safety and wellbeing as a priority.

We can also support you with a vast range of family law issues, including arrangements for children, divorce and separation, domestic abuse, name changes and Social Services involvement with your family. We understanding that involving a solicitor in your personal family affairs may sometimes feel like a difficult thing to do, but our confidential, sensitive, and un-biased approach will allow you to feel fully supported, no matter your situation.

You can call us on 0161 330 6821 or make an enquiry directly with our Family and Divorce Team: Get in touch with Carla Williams on 0161 330 6821 or via email – cwilliams@bromleys.co.uk